The Lancet and IHME co-hosted the symposium “Public financing of global health in developing countries” to address the relationship between international resources contributed to health and the funds that governments in developing countries spend on health.
About the symposium
The symposium brought together experts in public health and public health financing, including representatives from aid organizations, governments, development banks, and research institutions, to discuss research and policy action in global health financing.
The symposium featured presentations by experts in the field and included a presentation by Dr. Christopher Murray on IHME’s study, “Public financing of health in developing countries: a cross-national systematic analysis,” published in The Lancet on April 9. The results of this study showed that developing countries worldwide are spending more of their own resources on health, with some notable exceptions. The research raised a number of serious questions regarding health financing that were discussed during this event.
- Dr. Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief, The Lancet
- Dr. Peter Piot, Director, Institute for Global Health, Imperial College London
- Dr. Gorik Ooms, Former Head of Médecins Sans Frontières, Belgium
- Madalo Nyambose, Assistant Director, Debt and Aid Division, Malawi Ministry of Finance
- Dr. Julian Schweitzer, Director, Health Nutrition & Population, Human Development Network, World Bank
- Joe Cerrell, Director, Europe Office, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Dr. Julio Frenk, Dean, Harvard School of Public Health
- Dr. Sanjeev Gupta, Deputy Director, Fiscal Affairs Department, International Monetary Fund
- Dr. Devi Sridhar, Research Fellow, All Souls College, Oxford
- Dr. Arnab Acharya, Senior Lecturer, Economics, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- Dr. Sigrun Møgedal, Ambassador, HIV/AIDS and Global Health Initiatives, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Norway
- Simon Scott, Head, Statistics and Monitoring Division, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- Dr. Julian Lob-Levyt, Chief Executive Officer, GAVI Alliance
- Peter C. Smith, Professor of Health Policy, Institute for Global Health and Business School, Imperial College London
The podcast of the symposium and additional information are available at the Imperial College London website.