The Independent Advisory Committee for the Global Burden of Disease will advise the Board of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation on Global Burden of Disease, Forecasting, and Geospatial Analysis research areas with the following terms of reference:
- Advise on the overall vision and strategic direction of the Global Burden of Disease, Forecasting, and Geospatial Analysis projects
- Review the strengths and weaknesses of different methods and results
- Identify areas in which, on the basis of available evidence, new data collection and analysis would help to improve particular estimates and make recommendations for how to instigate and support such efforts
- Advise the IHME Board about opportunities for strengthening collaboration and shared ownership
- Advise on the strengths and weaknesses of other efforts on global health estimates
- Act as a conduit for the discussion of criticisms raised about the GBD methods and estimates
- Provide guidance on the integration of new components and features into the GBD project
- Advise on the wider communication of the GBD outputs and engagement with end users, with a focus on the use of GBD evidence to inform policy and program decision making and implementation
- Report annually to the IHME Board
The IAC meets twice annually and is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Summaries of all IAC meetings are available here.
For more information about the Independent Advisory Committee, please contact the GBD IAC Program Manager, Sarah Curran.
Independent Advisory Committee Management and Support
- Sarah Curran, Program Manager, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, UK
- Edmond Ng, Senior Statistical Analyst, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, UK