Published in The Lancet in November 2018, GBD 2017 provides for the first time an independent estimation of population, for each of 195 countries and territories and the globe, using a standardized, replicable approach, as well as a comprehensive update on fertility. GBD 2017 incorporates major data additions and improvements, and methodological refinements. Mortality and life expectancy estimates have been extended back to 1950, and new causes have been added to the fatal and non-fatal cause lists, for a total of 359 diseases and injuries. One new risk factor, bullying victimization, and 80 new risk-outcome pairs have also been added. More SDG indicators are now examined, and forecasting methods are used to generate projections through 2030 and assess the pace of change needed to attain the SDGs. Produced with the input of 3,676 collaborators from 146 countries and territories, GBD 2017 also includes estimates at the subnational level for Ethiopia, Iran, New Zealand, Norway, and Russia, in addition to the countries for which subnational estimates have been published in previous editions of the GBD study (Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, South Africa, Sweden, the UK, and the US).
This page summarizes all available resources from the capstone publications of the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) 2017 study.
Capstone Research Articles
Full articles are available for download at The Lancet: https://www.thelancet.com/gbd
Population and Fertility
- Population and fertility by age and sex for 195 countries and territories, 1950–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017
- Global, regional, and national age-sex-specific mortality and life expectancy, 1950–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017
Causes of Death
- Global, regional, and national age-sex-specific mortality for 282 causes of death in 195 countries and territories, 1980–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017
Years Lived with Disability (YLDs)
- Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 354 diseases and injuries for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017
Disability-Adjusted Life Years (DALYs)
- Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) for 359 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE) for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017
- Global, regional, and national comparative risk assessment of 84 behavioral, environmental and occupational, and metabolic risks or clusters of risks for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the GBD Study 2017
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Measuring progress from 1990 to 2017 and projecting attainment to 2030 of the health-related Sustainable Development Goals for 195 countries and territories: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017
Download the Data
Download all estimates and find other data-related resources associated with GBD 2017 publications on the Global Health Data Exchange (GHDx): http://ghdx.healthdata.org/gbd-2017
GBD Results Tool
This query tool allows download of full GBD results data in CSV format.
- All GBD causes, risks, etiologies, impairments, injuries by nature, and sequela aggregates
- Measures: deaths, years of life lost (YLLs), years lived with disability (YLDs), disability-adjusted life years (DALYs), prevalence, incidence, life expectancy, probability of death, healthy life expectancy (HALE), maternal mortality ratio (MMR), and summary exposure value (SEV)
- Metrics (units): number, rate, percent, years, probability of death
- Years: 1990-2017; annual results for all measures
- All GBD age groups
- Sexes: males, females, both sexes
- Locations: GBD super-regions, regions, countries, select subnational units, and custom regions (WHO regions, World Bank Income Levels, and more)
Data Input Sources Tool
The Data Input Sources Tool allows users to explore GBD 2017 input data sources and retrieve relevant metadata.
Use these visualizations to interact with the latest GBD 2017 estimates, comparing causes, injuries, and risks across time, age, and place.
Analyze updated data about the world’s health levels and trends from 1990 to 2017 in this interactive tool using estimates from the GBD study.
With this tool, users can explore progress made toward achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Measure progress made by 195 countries from 1990 to 2017 toward 41 health-related indicators.
Walk through the estimation process for mortality trends for children and adults for 195 countries and territories using the revamped Mortality visualization.
You can examine more than 282 causes in both adjusted and pre-adjusted numbers, rates, and percentages for 195 countries and territories with this tool.
With this interactive tool, you can explore data inputs and epidemiological estimates from the GBD 2017 project.
The Country Profiles provide an overview of findings from the Global Burden of Disease (GBD). They are based on over 80,000 different data sources used by researchers to produce the most scientifically rigorous estimates possible. These profiles are meant to be freely downloaded and distributed.
Explore key findings, global trends, what's new, and important highlights for each of the seven GBD 2017 studies.