The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington. Its mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. IHME carries out a range of projects within different research areas including the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors; Future Health Scenarios; Costs and Cost Effectiveness; Geospatial Analysis; Resource Tracking; and Impact Evaluations. The aim is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative evidence base to make decisions that achieve better health.
IHME Client Services has an outstanding opportunity for an Analyst. The Analyst provides support to Client Services projects through qualitative and quantitative data collection and analytics, information management, client interaction and creation of client deliverables for multi-disciplinary projects. Providing key analytical inputs and shaping them into effective presentations will be a major component of this role. The individual will be expected to interact with a range of stakeholders and to concisely describe complex concepts and materials related to analytics, health data, and public health.
This position is supervised by an Associate within the Client Services Unit. This is a one-year renewable contract, where the incumbent may earn a yearly incentive bonus based upon CSU incentive targets being achieved during the plan year.
- Become familiar with IHME research to understand the dimensions and uses of health data in multi-disciplinary analyses, including, but not limited to: the Global Burden of Disease, forecasting, disease expenditure, and microsimulation.
- Understand client needs and determine how best to match them against IHME’s internal competencies and expertise.
Software development, data extraction, analysis
- Design and build distributed, flexible systems to take advantage of our large (20,000+ cores) computational cluster such that more complex models can be built by users over time.
- Create user-friendly interfaces to run, evaluate, and visualize the results of analyses.
- Follow software development best practices to document, test, and perform source control.
- Extract, format, and transform data from multiple sources according to set protocols and in consultation with researchers to best meet client needs.
- Maintain, update, and interact with databases containing health data from multiple sources.
- Perform quality assurance and routine diagnostics on data and databases.
- Contribute to software specification processes and present to users for feedback.
- Help determine appropriate tools to use, including languages, frameworks, data structures, etc.
- Develop and follow a system of APIs to enable greater efficiency.
- Assess databases that house the relevant data and determine how best to use them.
Client support and deliverable production
- Work with supervisors and colleagues to develop plans for software to better support client needs.
- Coordinate CSU project work streams in problem solving and developing project deliverables, both from IHME headquarters in Seattle as well as client sites in the US and abroad.
- Prepare summaries of data searches, extractions, and transformations for clients.
- Write client and collaborator reports, and other related materials from concept to finished product, utilizing a high degree of critical thinking and creativity.
- Communicate clearly and effectively while contributing as a productive team member.
- Work closely with other team members to help them with relevant tasks, to show them how to learn new skills, and to help resolve emerging problems on different projects.
- Exercise strong independent judgment in executing the responsibilities contained herein, assessing information at hand and conferring with other key stakeholders.
- Perform additional duties as assigned that fall within the reasonable scope of this position as member of the team.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering, economics or related field or equivalent combination of education and two years relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing code in SQL and either Python or R. Experience with additional coding languages desirable.
- Experience and interest in scientific software packages such as scipy, pandas, and numpy.
- Facility with analytic tasks and ability to participate productively in interdisciplinary teams.
- Strong sense of focus and attention to detail.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative environment, managing multiple priorities to deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, self-motivation, and the ability to work in a highly creative, entrepreneurial environment.
- Fluency in English is essential. Working knowledge of an additional language is desirable.
Conditions of Employment:
- Occasional travel may be required, up to 10%, depending upon projects.
- Must have valid passport or ability to obtain passport to travel nationally and internationally.
- Work is often also required nights and weekends.