The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington. Its mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. IHME carries out a range of projects within different research areas including the Global Burden of Diseases; Future Health Scenarios; Geospatial Analysis; Resource Tracking; and Impact Evaluations. The aim is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative evidence base to make decisions that achieve better health.
IHME has an exciting new opportunity for an individual to join the Client Services team at IHME as a full-time Associate. IHME Client Services is a social enterprise within the University of Washington that promotes and licenses IHME’s population health data to private sector organizations.
The Associate will provide critical input to statistical modeling efforts, working with location-specific and condition-specific information. This will be accomplished by helping to design and implement projects, managing specific workstreams, managing client relationships, and producing high-quality project deliverables on time.
This will be accomplished by helping to design and implement projects, managing specific project work-streams, managing client relationships, and producing high-quality project deliverables on time. The Associate will work closely with other members of the CSU team, IHME faculty, researchers, data specialists, project officers and analysts to produce, vet, and provide access to results. The individual will frequently be expected to interact successfully with a wide range of stakeholders and to concisely describe complex concepts and materials on the Global Burden of Disease, forecasting, and disease expenditure.
This is a one-year renewable contract, where the incumbent may earn a yearly incentive bonus based upon CSU incentive targets being achieved during the plan year. Current plan contract year ends December 31, 2018.
Understanding and Representing IHME’s Work
- Become familiar with IHME research to understand the dimensions and uses of health data in multi-disciplinary analyses, including, but not limited to: Global Burden of Disease, forecasting, resource tracking, and microsimulation.
- Understand client needs and determine how best to match them against IHME’s internal competencies and expertise.
- Make presentations to external audiences and seed collaborative efforts with external organizations accordingly.
Client Support and Deliverable Production
- Conduct landscape analyses and contribute to the writing of proposals.
- Lead project workstreams in problem solving and developing project deliverables related to health systems, both from IHME headquarters in Seattle as well as client sites in the US and abroad.
- Carry out quantitative analyses and participate in collaborative research projects.
- Undertake innovative applied research and application of Bayesian statistical techniques to novel analytic challenges.
- Develop new code, modify existing code, and implement statistical methods.
- Create, test, and use relevant computer code (Python, R, Java, C, or C++).
- Review and assess data sources in order to determine their relevance and utility for ongoing analyses. Become an expert in understanding key data sources and, in particular, variations in these across and within countries.
- Assess the quality of various data sources available and develop methods to correct limitations or biases where needed.
- Analyze and synthesize information provided by clients and collaborators and integrate that information into project deliverables.
- Help to develop and execute strategic plans that will leverage existing sets of results and expertise at IHME to meet client needs.
- Write reports and other related materials from concept to finished product utilizing a high degree of critical thinking and creativity.
- Liaise with other teams at IHME to ensure mutual understanding of needs for specific projects.
- Carry out communications, relationship-building, and project management with leaders from private sector, research, and service delivery organizations to facilitate productive collaboration.
Training and Knowledge Transfer
- Design and implement trainings, both inside IHME and inside client organizations.
- As new statistical modeling methods are developed, assess and coordinate with others on the integration of these new methods into standardized processes and into the computational machinery.
- Communicate with clients, faculty, and other stakeholders in order to best understand the nature, key characteristics, and context of the data.
- Engage in critiques of analytic results with the aim of improving processes and deliverables for future knowledge transfer.
- Be an effective communicator with other project staff of varying levels, disciplines, and authority to achieve team goals for the analyses and related outputs.
- Help build IHME CSU project knowledge and leadership networking globally and representing IHME Client Services at meetings and speaking opportunities..
- Contribute to setting the optimal strategic direction for IHME Client Services in the context of IHME’s overall mission.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s in computer science, statistics, mathematics, or other relevant subject, plus three years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Professional background in economics, medicine, and/or business administration with substantial knowledge and at least three years of experience in project implementation.
- Varied practical experience in statistical modeling.
- Ability to independently plan and execute research projects.
- Experience in and demonstrated success in scientific computing using at least one of the following programming languages: R, Python, Java, C, C++.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
- Strong communication skills and relationship management skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented research environment with a focus on producing innovative and relevant results.
- Must have valid passport or ability to obtain passport to travel nationally and internationally.
- Masters or PhD in computer science, statistics, mathematics, or related field.
- Experience in management consulting.
- Command of French or Japanese.
Conditions of Employment: Extensive travel may be required (up to one week per month), depending upon projects. Work is often also required nights and weekends.