The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington focused on expanding the quantitative evidence base for health. IHME aims to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative data to make decisions that achieve better health. IHME’s research spans multiple disciplines and policy-relevant areas including resource tracking, cost-effectiveness, forecasting, burden of diseases, geospatial analysis, health systems solutions, and impact evaluations. It has established international scientific credibility for developing innovative multidisciplinary methods and producing cutting-edge results. If you join IHME, you’ll be joining a team of mission-oriented people who are committed to creating a welcoming and diverse workforce that respects and appreciates differences, and embraces collaboration.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Database Administrator II. Funding is currently available until June 2021 with a possibility of renewal. The Database Administrator will be responsible for supporting and securing multi-terabyte databases used to enhance research efforts, as well as improving our ability to illustrate and disseminate global health trends through innovative means. This individual will also serve the critical function of keeping database technologies up to date to meet research needs effectively and efficiently. This individual will lead the implementation of new database software and hardware in consultation with database and software engineering staff.
A successful candidate will be passionate about big data, experienced in open source database administration, and committed to being part of an agile development team in pursuit of turning raw data into global impact.
Database architecture, administration, and security
- Research, recommend, and implement distributed database software and hardware systems.
- Work with system and database administrators to build stable, reliable, and scalable data management environments.
- Lead the installation, configuration, and tuning of development, test, and production database environments.
- Ensure that backup and archiving procedures are functioning correctly.
- Devise, implement, and maintain database monitoring and reporting tools.
- Work to automate database administrative tasks and provide self-service user tools wherever possible.
Planning and research learning
- Stay up to date on the latest technologies surrounding high performance operating systems and open source database management systems.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the components of IHME’s data architecture.
- Plan and track projects and tasks and provide input to higher level timelines to deliver both iterative milestones and completed products.
- Communicate clearly and effectively while contributing as a productive member of the database team and the Institute as a whole.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or related field plus five years’ related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of backing up, restoring, and maintaining databases with extremely large datasets
- Deep understanding of multiple open source database systems such as MySQL, PostGres, MariaDB Spider, Columnstore, or Clustrix
- Familiarity with Linux Containers and Virtualization (Docker/LXC, VSphere, OpenStack)
- Experience with monitoring and metrics gathering tools (ELK stack, Nagios, Sensu, MonYog)
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including a team ethic and focus on relationship building
- Demonstrated organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, strong communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, highly creative, entrepreneurial environment
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Experience with distributed storage systems such as Qumulo, CEPH, Stornext, etc.
- Solid systems administration and automation skills (i.e., Salt, Ansible, Chef)
- Experience in MPP databases
Conditions of Employment:
- Evening/weekend work may be required