The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington. Its mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. IHME carries out a range of projects within different research areas including: the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors; Future Health Scenarios; Costs and Cost Effectiveness; Local Burden of Disease; Resource Tracking; and Impact Evaluations. The aim is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative evidence base to make decisions that achieve better health.
IHME has an excellent opportunity for an Evaluations Scientist. We are looking for someone ready to advance in their career in global health research. As an Evaluations Scientist you will be a lead on your research team contributing to research design, evaluations and implementation field management, training, supervising and/or mentoring junior staff. This position provides an excellent opportunity to further develop your experience in evaluations and field settings by having significant training and coordination responsibilities with a developing country partners. Key areas of involvement will include: coordinating and collaborating with the partner and donor on behalf of the PI, developing analysis plans in coordination with international partners, recruiting, training and managing research teams, designing and supervising logistics for the field activities, analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, writing project brief, reports and policy memos, and being the point of contact for key stakeholders. The work will develop your analytical and management skills and require your full commitment in a challenging environment.
You will be integrally involved in producing, critiquing, improving, and disseminating results. You are someone that is capable of keeping your team on track to meet deadlines and research objectives. You have experience writing protocols and contract deliverables (reports, IRB applications) and have a publication record, and at IHME, you will build out your portfolio with several peer-reviewed papers. You thrive in a collaborative work environment and are capable of working on multiple projects concurrently while meeting deadlines. You keep current of recent scientific, engineering and technical advances and are able to translate these into your research.
This position is contingent on project funding availability.
- Exhibit command of one or more of the research areas at IHME, including the methodology and its components.
- Independently carry out quantitative analyses and participate in reciprocal research projects. Interpret and vet results from junior staff, formulate conclusions and inform team leaders.
- Work directly with collaborators to understand data to which they have access, and to in turn help them understand the methods being applied. Help to manage and orchestrate joint strategies for analysis.
- Analyze project, baseline survey results, and other quantitative and qualitative data and generate results in easy-to-understand visual formats.
- Develop, quality check, and distribute complex data sets to be used in epidemiological and statistical analyses.
- Develop and implement new computational and statistical methods. Create, test, and use relevant computer code (R, Python, STATA or equivalent). Maintain, modify, and execute analytic machinery.
- Provide technical advice on the design of data collection methods, survey instruments and data management.
- Draft presentations, manuscripts, and contribute to funding proposals. Lead and co-author scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals.
- Maintain scientific awareness and intellectual agility with data, methods, and analytic techniques.
- Leading and/or supervising junior staff. May include: hiring and training; leading workflow; priority setting; critiquing work and establishing quality standards; conducting regular performance assessments, providing mentorship and professional development for employees.
- Provide ideas and content for the development of internal IHME trainings. Teach established trainings.
- Contribute to research design.
- Other duties as assigned that fall within reasonable scope of research team.
Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, statistics, biostatistics, math, economics, quantitative social sciences or related discipline plus four years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Growing peer network where sought out as having solid command with engineering/technical areas, a given disease, risk, key indicator, relevant methodological area, and the related data sources and scientific underpinnings.
- Excellent analytic, critical thinking, and quantitative skills.
- Results and detail-oriented individual that can initiate and complete tasks under tight deadlines and changing priorities both independently and in a team environment. Flexibility with hours and workload is key.
- Experience devising and executing statistical modeling techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly recognize problems in results and identify root causes in data, methods, and code.
- Ease in designing, executing, and troubleshooting code in one or more languages (e.g. R, Python, Stata, SAS, SQL).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required, including track record of success in co-authorship on multiple scientific papers, presenting results, and representing research at meetings.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with a team
- A long-term interest in a research scientist position contributing to the overall mission of our research
- Valid passport or the ability to obtain one is required; Travel up to 15%.
- Fluent in English required, both written and verbal.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- PhD or MD in public health, epidemiology, statistics, biostatistics, math, economics, quantitative social sciences plus two years’ experience preferred.
- Experience working (preferably in a research-related capacity) in developing countries.
- Experience with machine learning, data mining, and analytic techniques.
- Experience mentoring and developing junior employees on soft and technical skills.
- Experience with project management methods.
- Peer-reviewed publication record.
- Proficiency in a foreign language, preferably French or Spanish