The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington. Its mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. IHME carries out a range of projects within different research areas including the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors; Future Health Scenarios; Costs and Cost Effectiveness; Geospatial Analysis; Resource Tracking; and Impact Evaluations. The aim is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative evidence base to make decisions that achieve better health.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a full-time Financial Analyst to join the IHME Financial Planning and Operations team. The Financial Analyst must work effectively in many roles – analyst, advisor to leadership, and business intelligence tool administrator. The individual in this position will be responsible for assisting in ramping up IHME’s financial activities and processes, which requires strategic and creative thinking. This position is contingent on project funding availability.
Decision support and strategic planning
- Develop and maintain reporting tools and metrics for presenting strategic planning information required by the IHME Executive Team. This includes budgets, projections, revenue forecasts, and strategic plans.
- Understand how to manage and shape financial data; analyze data and provide advice to senior leadership.
- Create forecasts and scenarios using available data and tools. Propose and track financial performance metrics.
- Create standardized, documented, and intuitive reports; provide ad-hoc reports as required.
- Use data to create novel presentations and model different scenarios outside of the business intelligence tool to inform strategic planning and Executive and Board-level decision-making. Work closely with the organization’s leadership, including the Chief Strategy and Operations Officer, to inform strategic planning activities.
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Finance Manager to oversee the annual IHME budget process.
- Support the FTE review process to make personnel allocation changes.
- Train and support staff on using the business intelligence tool and other tools to better understand status of different funding sources and how to make meaningful projections.
Business intelligence tool and database administration
- Routinize budget and financial management and analysis.
- Manage business intelligence tool and related financial database administration, support, and security as needed. Design and develop data import/export processes as required.
- Assess organizational needs over time and how well the business intelligence tool supports them. Develop complementary tools and data representations as needed. Advise over time on any modifications or enhancements to the business intelligence tool.
- Think creatively and flexibly about how information can be presented for strategic planning purposes and answer questions posed by the Executive Leadership and the Board which might not be supported as part of routine reporting processes.
- Work regularly with key staff (Directors, Project Officers, Managers) to review reports, assess analyses for both risks and opportunities, and identify aspects of budgets or forecasts that require modifications.
- Understand university business processes, rules, data structures, and available data sources to determine the data appropriate for the solution.
- Support growth in IHME’s collaborations and revenue streams by facilitating goods and services agreements, subscriptions, conference and training budgets, and state funding.
- Provide guidance and hands-on help in aligning contract stipulations with reasonable budget assumptions and desired flexibility to accomplish the work in efficient and effective ways.
Provide strategic input to the proposal development process in regard to revenue projections and opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, computer science, or related field and three years’ relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel/financial modeling
- Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral; ability to build and deliver presentations to all levels of the organization and effectively explain complex issues and concepts in simple, understandable language
- Ability to innovate and work independently and successfully in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Experience with University of Washington systems such as Enterprise Data Warehouse and My Financial Desktop
- Familiarly with a major research university setting or non-profit research organizations
- Experience with data integration
- Advanced level of Microsoft Access and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with enterprise-wide relational databases, multi-dimensional cubes, scripting languages, SQL server (including SQL Server Analysis Services), and Business Intelligence reporting tools
Conditions of Employment:
- Weekend and evening work sometimes required.