The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington. Its mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. It uses cutting-edge techniques to tackle some of the most difficult and most critical questions in global health and find answers that will become the foundation for better policies and, ultimately, better health.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Full Stack Web Developer. The Data Tools Team is looking for an experienced developer who possesses an in-depth knowledge of web application development to create custom internal tools. This position requires a mastery of the hands-on aspects of web interface engineering, an ability to design and build solid front-end architecture and integrate it with a database layer, and the ability to communicate these solutions to other members of the team both verbally and in written documentation. The Full Stack Web Developer will report to the Data Tools Development Manager. Position is contingent upon project funding.
Web Application development and maintenance
- Support and improve existing data extraction and related tools
- Utilize modern web frameworks to create, extend, and maintain custom applications that automate IHME’s data extraction and provenance pipelines
- Streamline and support data extraction helper scripts
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use and refactor existing code to improve maintainability, readability, testability, etc.
- Install and maintain application dependencies
- Test code, features, business rules, and integrations.
- Write and maintain thorough documentation of all programs and procedures
- Troubleshoot and fix website, application, and server issues
- Document and fix bugs
- Work closely with Project Managers and other staff members to collect requirements, estimate work, and ensure that projects are delivered according to schedule.
- Plan for, coordinate, and execute software deployments
- Assist with design for new websites and features.
- Become familiar with the components of IHME data extraction tools and their purpose.
- Explore new technologies and make recommendations as to their adoption.
- Learn cutting-edge methods and how to apply them.
- Communicate clearly and effectively while contributing as a productive member of the EDM team and the Institute as a whole.
- Participate in the overall community of the Institute, carrying out duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience plus a minimum 3 years’ experience as a full stack web developer.
- Understanding of common application design patterns and architectures, such as model-view-controller frameworks
- Experience using Unix/Linux command line and CLI tools
- Experience with source code management tools – such as Git and Subversion.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including a strong team ethic .
- Experience visualizing large, complex, and frequently changing datasets
- Familiarity with Python and STATA
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Experience consuming and implementing Web APIs
- Experience with continuous integration, unit testing, and tools such as Jenkins
- Familiarity with Docker or other containerization technologies
Conditions of Employment: Weekend and evening work sometimes required.