The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington whose mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, using data to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. The aim is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers the evidence base necessary to help solve the world’s most important health problems.
This requires creativity and innovation, which is cultivated by an inclusive, diverse, and equitable environment. If you join IHME, you’ll be joining a team of dynamic, mission-oriented people who are committed to creating a welcoming and diverse workforce that respects and appreciates differences, and embraces collaboration.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Software Development Manager II on our Central Computation Team for the Global Burden of Disease, Injuries, and Risk Factors (GBD). The SDM II will lead the development, support, and improvement of the team’s vast software portfolio, improving the efficiency and automation of processes and working with engineers to develop and implement best practices. The SDM II sets the direction for software development for research.
The SDM II will also advise a team of thirteen engineers and four analysts, and also consult on the engineering priorities for IHME as a whole. This position will have autonomy to make decisions about software development priorities, design, and implementation. They will lead a group of engineers and supervise staff, many of whom are also supervisors.
The Central Computation team is responsible for developing disease and risk factor modeling software, production of final GBD results for publication, data analysis pipelines, and database tools that interface with up to 1 PB of data across dozens of databases and a network file system. This role includes management of software dependencies, both within Central Computation and across other research teams.
- Lead the ongoing software development, improvement, and maintenance of the team's software portfolio
- Identify, initiate, and implement innovative solutions to complex research problems
- Collaborate on implementation end-to-end using knowledge of how software interfaces with hardware
Strategic Planning and Management
- Supervise, lead and develop the Engineering team's knowledge, skills, and capacity to support individual team members and the organization's goals
- Supervise and train Software and Research Engineers, providing guidance, coaching and support to team members
- Promote cross-organization teamwork
- Understand how data and processes relate to the major research deliverables and objectives of the organization
- Translate complex research objectives into practical deliverables
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or related technical degree and seven years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience supervising and coaching staff, and directing, prioritizing, and monitoring projects and tasks with a track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams
- Established expertise in developer tools or software development lifecycle (SDLC) systems
- Thorough understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing) and implementing code in an Agile environment or iterative SDLCs
- Experience in Python, R, SQL, pandas, NumPy, and/or related programming languages and deploying software to Linux servers
- Experience with data and metadata standards and relational database development
- Demonstrated experience in gathering the true requirements underlying feature requests, managing stakeholder expectations, communicating with developers, and prioritizing development work to achieve project and organizational aims
- Ability to pay attention to details and maintain a strategic vision while operating in a fast-paced environment
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Experience with object-oriented programming, or willingness and capability to learn
- Experience using and understanding R, Python, and Java
Conditions of Employment:
- Weekend and evening work sometimes required