The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent research center at the University of Washington. Its mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. IHME carries out a range of projects within different research areas including the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors; Future Health Scenarios; Costs and Cost Effectiveness; Local Burden of Disease; Resource Tracking; and Impact Evaluations. The aim is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative evidence base to make decisions that achieve better health.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Technical Program Manager on one of a number of IHME teams. We are looking for a TPM who is technically proficient, an effective communicator, and able to operate independently. They will work with internal teams to define requirements, determine milestones, facilitate coordination, track progress, and ultimately ensure timely delivery of intermediate- to large-scale cross-functional projects. The Technical Program Manager will provide diplomatic and timely communication in an agile work environment with iterative planning and delivery cycles.
A successful candidate will be passionate about improving systems and workflows, experienced in the full software development lifecycle, and committed to being a key contributor to an autonomous and agile development team in pursuit of turning raw data into global impact.
Teams for which Technical Program Manager positions are currently available include:
- The Enterprise Data Management team is engaged in building and continuously improving systems to provide IHME with consistent, high-quality data intake, management, processing, and retrieval. We maintain the world’s most comprehensive catalog of health-related data, containing over 100,000 data source records and critical databases and tools that ingest and store hundreds of billions of rows of analytical data. A cross-functional team of developers, engineers, database experts, and data curators, we are implementing NLP and other big data technologies to standardize and streamline IHME’s data pipeline.
- The Data Visualization team is responsible for creating interactive data visualizations and tools that aid in the production and dissemination of IHME’s data. Our products include internal visualizations to help research teams vet their data, collaborator tools to engage with IHME’s growing collaborator network, and public-facing visualizations and tools that empower a larger audience to interact with IHME’s data. We are an agile software development team looking for a highly organized, technically minded individual to help us onboard new projects and feature requests, communicate with research teams, and ensure our projects are delivered on time and as promised.
- The Infrastructure team is responsible for developing and operating IHME’s technology infrastructure that includes 10+ PB of research data, a supercomputer with 25,000 CPU cores, and virtual and container platforms that enable the researchers to focus on solving complicated big data problems. Our team’s approach to infrastructure as code makes us an agile software development and operations team, and we are looking for highly organized individual who is technical and loves helping teams solve hard problems.
- A core research area for IHME is the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors enterprise (GBD). A systematic, scientific effort to quantify the comparative magnitude of health loss due to diseases, injuries, and risk factors by age, sex, and geography over time, the GBD is the largest and most comprehensive effort to date to measure epidemiological levels and trends worldwide. The GBD’s aim is to provide policymakers, donors, and researchers with the highest-quality quantitative evidence base to make decisions that achieve better health.
Technical Program Manager Responsibilities:
Program Management & Business Analysis
- Drive new products and features through the development process. Understand project goals and translate those goals into action to deliver complex products on deadline.
- Gather and create product requirements and specifications, eliciting clear and ongoing communication between research teams and development resources.
- Develop work plans to implement these requirements, monitor progress, and identify and make explicit the interdependencies between the many moving pieces of the team’s work.
- Lead and/or contribute to project scrum teams to ensure that developers are working on highest-value tasks.
- Facilitate user testing by communicating knowledge of application functionality and development processes to research teams and other subject matter experts.
- Ask questions that clarify priorities and push development teams to be highly effective.
- Develop broad domain and technical knowledge in order to communicate effectively between subject matter experts and developers.
- Develop and maintain a high-level understanding of modern big data technologies and how they relate to the work of the assigned team.
- Become familiar with the different components of IHME’s analytic process and their purpose.
- Communicate clearly and effectively while contributing as a productive member of the team.
- Perform additional duties as assigned that fall within the reasonable scope of this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, mathematics, computer science, or related field and five years’ experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams to deliver projects with multiple dependencies and constraints.
- Ability to communicate effectively and establish credibility with technical and non-technical stakeholders including executive staff.
- Strong systems thinking and problem-solving experience.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies.
- Must exhibit strong desire and ability to learn new intellectual content across different disciplines in a timely fashion.
- Strong sense of focus and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, strong communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, highly creative, entrepreneurial environment.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Statistics and/or public health interest
- Developer experience, including writing, testing, and deploying code
Conditions of Employment:
- Weekend and evening work sometimes required.