The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is a dynamic organization at the University of Washington. Our mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. We are also building an audience of interested policymakers, researchers, donors, and other decision-makers in health who are interested in learning more about how to derive and apply better evidence in global health.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Graphic Designer to join our team. The primary purpose of this position is to create and implement designs that contribute to the execution of communications that represent the Local Burden of Disease project and the Human Capital project. In this rewarding role, the graphic designer will create and implement designs that affect people worldwide. As an integral component of IHME’s global engagement strategy, the graphic designer will contribute to the execution of communications such as reports, briefs, infographics, GIFs, policy reports, social media assets, infographics, flyers, event collateral, and illustrations. The designer will help ensure the development, implementation, and adherence to a consistent creative look, feel, style, and tone of communications that clearly convey project objectives for multiple audiences.
The graphic designer will develop publications and collateral to disseminate IHME’s research findings in an accurate, attractive, and accessible manner for a wide range of audiences, from researchers to donors to policymakers to the general public. This position executes the design, layout, and final production of visual communications projects. This job is part production and part creative; 50% of the work is for print and 50% is for digital outputs.
Print materials design and execution
- Develop and provide original graphic design work, from conceptual to layout to printer-ready art.
- Work with external vendors to secure quotes and ensure that projects move smoothly through the production process.
- Assist with checking proofs and attend press checks, as needed.
- Employ principles of design, typography, photography, and color management for print.
Digital materials design and execution
- Work closely with Global Engagement team members, Data and Tech teams, and other staff to design and implement clear, correct, and visually compelling representations of complex data in multiple formats.
- Employ principles of design, typography, photography, and color management for web.
- Create materials for social media outreach including, but not limited to, GIFs and Twitter cards.
- Advise on, maintain, and adhere to IHME branding guidelines for topics such as color palettes, fonts, and logos while exercising creativity in visualizing narrative and data.
- Promulgate design best practices and principles throughout the Institute.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design/arts or related field
- At least three years of print and digital graphic design experience
- Strong ability to collaborate and communicate with stakeholders throughout the organization
- Strong understanding of the principles of design, typography, photography, and color management for print and web
- Demonstrated stylistic breadth and attention to detail
- The ability to work at high standards in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Skill at managing multiple tasks and flexibility in handling shifts in deadlines and priorities
- Knowledge of printing processes, paper stocks, and proofing methods
- Highly proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud products (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects) and other Mac-based applications, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Interest in public health, global health, and health policy
- Animation/illustration skills a plus but not necessary
- Strong organizational skills and proficiency maintaining design files using version control
- Portfolio of reports or layouts (20-60 pages)
- Experience converting complex data to graphics
- Personally motivated to support the Institute’s mission and goals
- Multicultural sensitivity. Knowledge of additional languages a plus
Conditions of employment:
- Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
- Weekend and evening work may be required.