SmartVA-Analyze is an application that implements the Tariff 2.0 Method1 for computer certification of verbal autopsies. It takes verbal autopsy interview data as input and produces cause of death estimates at the individual and population levels. The SmartVA cause of death assignment system was designed and validated with the Population Health Metrics Research Consortium (PHMRC) Gold Standard VA database collected as part of the PHMRC Gold Standard VA Validation Study.2
- SmartVA Application (If you experience difficulty with the download from this page, please download the application from the IHME cloud.)
- SmartVA Help
- SmartVA Outputs Interpretation
PHMRC VA Instrument
The PHMRC Shortened Questionnaire is a standardized VA questionnaire developed by the PHMRC, based on World Health Organization (WHO) standards.3 The SmartVA system is designed for analyzing VA data collected electronically using the PHMRC Full and Shortened Questionnaires with the Open Data Kit (ODK) Collect system on Android devices. Paper-based versions of the PHMRC Full and Shortened Questionnaires are also available.
PHMRC Shortened Questionnaire
PHMRC Full Questionnaire
PHMRC Gold Standard VA Validation Database
The Population Health Metrics Research Consortium (PHMRC) Gold Standard VA Validation database is in the public domain. Download it from the Global Health Data Exchange.
The SmartVA-Analyze Application source code can be found here:
1. Serina P, Riley I, Stewart A, James SL, et al. Improving performance of the Tariff Method for assigning causes of death to verbal autopsies. BMC Medicine. 2015 Dec 8; 13:291.
2. Murray CJL, Lopez AD, Black R, Ahuja, et al. Population Health Metrics Research Consortium gold standard verbal autopsy validation study: design, implementation, and development of analysis datasets. Population Health Metrics. 2011 Aug 4; 9:27.
3. Serina P, Riley I, Stewart A, Flaxman AD, et al. A shortened verbal autopsy instrument for use in routine mortality surveillance systems. BMC Medicine. 2015 Dec 16; 13:302.