About the Tool
Where do we have the best data on different health conditions? For any age group, see where various data sources have placed trends in causes of death over time. You can examine more than 200 causes in both adjusted and pre-adjusted numbers, rates, and percentages for 195 countries and territories. Data will be available upon request.
- Use the latest version of Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer (currently IE11), or Firefox.
- Make sure to disable compatibility mode in Internet Explorer. In some cases, it renders a site unusable.
- Use Ctrl+0 to reset the browser zoom. Sometimes having the browser zoomed in or out interferes with the layout or a few mouse-dependent properties.
- If the visualization isn't loading or looks distorted, try clearing your cache. See http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache for pointers.
- Time Series: This view displays data by time series, which allows you to view trends over time.
- Age Pattern: This view displays the data by age patterns, or what ages are most affected by this disease or illness.
- Map: This view allows displays estimates globally for comparison across countries by age and year.
- #: This estimate shows the number of deaths for the selected country-year-age-sex.
- Rate per 100K: This estimate shows in a single country-year-age-sex, the deaths due to cause X divided by the population.
- %: This estimate shows the Cause Specific Mortality Fraction in a single country-year-age-sex group; the deaths due to cause X divided by the total deaths.
- Log (e): Natural Logarithm
- Outliers: Data points that were marked to not be included in the modeled time trend.
- Raw: Raw data shows data points prior to redistribution and age/sex unknown correction.
- Corr: Corrected data shows data after it has been corrected for age/sex unknown.
- Redist: Redistributed data shows estimates after correction for Garbage codes.
- Final: Final data shows estimates after smoothing.
- Current Year-Age: Displays estimates for the currently selected year and age-group.
- Years: Displays estimates for all years (1980-2015) within the currently selected age group.
- Ages: Displays estimates for all ages within the currently selected year.
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME). Causes of Death (COD) Data Visualization. Seattle, WA: IHME, University of Washington, 2016. Available from http://vizhub.healthdata.org/cod. (Accessed [INSERT DATE])