Data sourcesWe make datasets and our sources freely available so that policymakers have the evidence they need to make informed decisions about how to allocate resources to best improve population health.
Global Health Data Exchange (GHDx)
The GHDx is a data catalog created and supported by our organization.
- It is the central source for all our primary and secondary data records and datasets.
- It was created as a dedicated place for anyone interested in global health and demography to quickly find and share information about data along with actual datasets.
Common questions about the GHDx, our data catalog
While most of the data records in the GHDx have been collected from partners, we do have a growing number of datasets we are producing.
- GBD 2019 data resources, including links to the primary data records collected and the code used to generate the results (findings).
- GBD interactive data visuals where you can filter and customize your view to your areas of interest. They show the latest GBD estimates comparing causes, injuries, risks across time, age, and place.
- Country profiles are a snapshot of the health landscape of each country in the Global Burden of Disease study. They are designed to be easily printed to PDF.
- Disease, injury, and risk factsheets offer a concise overview of causes, impairments, and risk factors modeled in GBD and the health loss related to them. They can be printed to PDF in two pages.
There are many types of data that we collect and categorize from external data providers and from IHME primary research.
- Administrative data
- Demographic surveillance
- Disease registry
- Environmental monitoring
- Epi surveillance
- Event data
- Financial record
- Geospatial data
- Modeled data
- Scientific literature
- Vital registration
- You can right-click on the title of files within the GHDx and download them.
- You can also download a .csv file of search results within the GHDx. Select the purple “Export” button at the top of the page.
You can use basic keyword searching or advanced searches using Boolean operators. Read about search operators, filtering with facets, and using related words.
Ask a data librarian! Fill out a quick form if you are having trouble locating the data you need in the GHDx.
We have two instructional videos that cover a basic overview of the GHDx and searching for data using basic Boolean operators, filtering, and exporting.
Recently added data
Visit the GHDx to download our recently added estimates and data source files.